Friday, October 5, 2007

Baby quilts


Undulating Curves


for Carter

I created both of these for a couple of friends of mine for their new babies. I used store bought fabrics for both. I know, I know, being a hand dyeing snob, why didn't I use my own fabric? I just had this underlying fear of "what if I didn't get all of the dye residue washed out of the fabric & mom comes into the room to see that little Johnny had been drooling on the quilt & now has purple dye on his face?" I would never be able to forgive myself.

The blocks are hand stitched together which I love doing. It's so relaxing to sit & watch TV & hand stitch the pieces together. The seams match up SO much nicer than if I would try it with a sewing machine. The quilt tops, however, are machine quilted (that is one place where I don't have the patience to try to attempt hand work) I'm more into creating the design & sewing the design together. The quilting part, I don't really enjoy.

No comments: