in Lynda's & Carole's Textures Class. The samples below were my first experiments with molding paste. I'm having a little bit of trouble with the class because it's all so new to me. I've never built up textures to use in my work before. Yes, I've used machine stitching, cheesecloth & Angelina Fibers, but that's about it.
The first sample was done with rubber stamping. (You might have to click on the picture for a better closeup.) I question if the squiggles should have turned out a little bit more defined? After the paste was dry, I painted it with leftover procion dye. Was hoping the dye would bring out the squiggles more. (didn't work) So I thought how about rubbing a rubber stamp ink pad over it? (didn't work, too many raised surfaces) I then realized, it was still wet from the ink pad, so I wiped it off with a damp cloth. This pulled off some of the blue dye, which brought out the squiggles a little better. Aha!! I hadn't sealed the surface after I painted it with dye, so I was able to remove some the dye with water.
I think this sample might be my favorite. I machine stitched over the piece after it was dry & then painted it. I then went back in with a damp cloth to remove some of the dye from the higher surfaces.
I used a flower paper punch to create a stencil for this one & I also machine stitched over the piece, when it was dry.
This is an interesting piece. I laid a piece of that orange snow fence down & then used a brayer to spread the molding paste onto the cloth. I then stitched squiggles all over the piece (was great practice for me to learn how to machine stitch squiggles by free hand.) It was then painted with dye.
This was done using bubble wrap while the paste was still wet. The holes remind me of a cheese grater.
As of right now, I don't have any plans to incorporate these into bigger pieces, so for now, they'll remain samples. :)