Monday, August 18, 2008

Bamboo PC finally finished!!

I'm not sure why I struggled so hard to create & complete a piece before. We were to create a bamboo pc for a swap in Surface Design. I have used hand dyed bamboo poplin in a lot of my work, so I'm not sure why this pc was such a struggle. But here they are......................






I have discovered that the flash just doesn't like to pick up the shiny Angelina fibers in these pieces which is really too bad, because I don't think these photos really do the pc's justice. The background is a hand dyed bamboo poplin (burnt orange), hand dyed cheesecloth layered over machine stitching & Angelia fibers & the triangles are from my tp tissue casting & metal "squiggles".

There is a little story behind these pc's. These are actually cut from a bigger quilt (Tequila Sunrise) that I was working on a couple of months ago, to enter into a show. I had the wall piece finished up until the quilting stage & that is where it all seemed to fall apart. I wasn't happy with how the quilting was going & I was not comfortable with the size I was working in. It was roughly 24" by 36" & I'm not used to working in bigger sizes anymore. I much more prefer working with sizes 11" by 17" & smaller. The show I was entering, had a size requirement of no smaller than 24" by 24". After that frustration, I decided it was best to put it away for awhile & come back to it at a later date in hopes that I could save it.......................... four pc's later & the possibilty of 2 smaller wall pieces from the original piece??

I had never cut into any of my pieces before to make them over into other pieces, so it was hard to make that first cut. But I have to say, I'm happy with how these turned out & looking forward to using the "left over" scraps for a couple of more "smaller" pieces.

5 comments:

Vicki W said...

I think they look great and it's a good way to use a project you weren't happy with.

Joanna van said...

Beautiful color composition!

Dotti said...

Wow,
Glad I'm in this trade with you Tracy, these are great PCs! It is neat to have a preview!

Michelle said...

they are luscious!

Fannie said...

Beautiful! Love those squiggles.